What We Do
Soroptimist means “best for women” and that’s what we strive to be—an organization of women at their best helping other women to be their best. As a volunteer organization of business and professional women we feel uniquely qualified to help women and girls live their dreams.
Throughout history and still to this day, women throughout the world face obstacles solely because of their gender. They disproportionately suffer from poverty and discrimination. It’s for this reason that Soroptimist, an organization of and by women, chooses to focus on the special challenges facing women and girls.
In order to accomplish this goal, the organization administers several international programs. The organization’s major project is the Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards, which assist women by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills and job prospects.
Other Soroptimist programs include:
- Soroptimists STOP Trafficking, a project that raises awareness about the sex trafficking of women and girls, and seeks to encourage citizens, law-makers and service providers to focus on this global problem.
- Soroptimist Live Your Dream Campaign, which aims to inspire women to live their dreams, and encourages them to pass on their good fortune to others.
- Soroptimist Workplace Campaign to End Domestic Violence, an awareness campaign that targets domestic violence as a workplace concern.
- Soroptimist Violet Richardson Award, a program that recognizes girls’ volunteer efforts.
- Soroptimist Ruby Award: For Women Helping Women (formerly the Soroptimist Making a Difference for Award), a recognition program for women who help other women and girls.